Thursday, July 17, 2008

Installing Ballast on my RZ2

After much deliberation I have decided to install an automatic ballast system on my boat. I used the Tigeowners.com site as a great resource to research the project. Tall, XPJIM1, Dog, EKS, G-Money, and SPBFAN all are great resources (I am sure I forgot someone so I apologize now). I ended up calling SPBFAN (Andrew) after talking with G-Money and figured out what the system would consist. I am going with a very simple system. 3 bags that all fill from the bottom and drain from the bottom using Jabsco Ballast Puppies. It will be over 2000 lbs of ballast when done with the ablity to fill and extra bag on the surf side up to 2400 lbs and create a huge wake. I ordered the scoop, High Fly Bags, and Jabsco Pumps from Andrew. I got the rest of the stuff at a local hardware store, home depot, and pep boys. I am going to make a complete list of parts. I will have pictures of the install and let you know how it was going and what was easy and what was hard.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Coach, great blog. I also reside on Tigeowners. Samw here.
Thanks for sharing and can't wait untill it's all done. I also would like a auto ballast system.
Good luck.

Unknown said...

So far so good. The install has not been very hard. I didn't start until about noon today on friday and had all of the holes and though hulls installed by 4:30. That was with lunch and some lag time waiting for my neighbors help which was huge. Overall it is a 3 out of 10 in difficulty but the electrical might be another issue but G-money is taking care of that.