Friday, July 18, 2008

Drillig Holes into my Boat

OK this really was the toughest thing to do, but it went A-OK. I did my first hole next to my bilge hole. I used the line of the RZ2 graphics and stole some of my daughters crayons to mark out the location for the hole. Once I had a circle in crayon and and X on it I used the smallest drill bit I owned to make a pilot hole of sorts. I drilled though and then could make sure I had enough clearance to attach the hose clamp. I then laid down the blue tape over and just before I would lay down the bit in the hole so I knew where to start drilling. I drilled in forward with the main bit just before the hole saw came in contact with the boat. Once that happened I put the drill in reverse and drilled though the hull. Each hole was very clean and very tight! After I drilled I cut away the excess carpet inside the compartment (which is huge BTW) and then cleaned the area with Acetone and cleaned the though hull with acetone. After that I added a thick bead of 3M 5200 to the though hull and put it back in the hole and tightened the bolt down with help from my neighbor holding the though hull in place with a set of plyers. When it was nice and tight I went back and cleaned up the excess 5200 with acetone and a cloth to make it look good.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can you post a picture of the inside of the storage locker so we can see what the through hull and hoses look like?

Unknown said...

Here is a pic of the through hull

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3061/2686375537_01674b00a1_b.jpg